A person’s smile is one of the first things people notice when they meet someone, and having a radiant smile can help leave a stronger and more lasting impression. This is because smiling makes you appear more approachable, amicable, and overall an incredibly positive person.
So, if you’re self-conscious about your teeth and therefore do not smile as much because of it, then you might want to consider going to a dentist for cosmetic dental procedures. These procedures, otherwise known as cosmetic dentistry, can help improve the appearance of your teeth, allowing you to have more self-confidence and smile more.
However, as with anything, there are a few things you need to consider before going to your local dentist for cosmetic dentistry. Check out what you need to know about this subcategory of dentistry.
- There are several procedures to choose from.
When it comes to cosmetic dentistry, there are a few procedures you can choose from, depending on what you need. These procedures include:
- Teeth whitening – This involves brightening the teeth, giving them a more appealing appearance. Bleaching one’s teeth remove the discoloration and stains of the teeth that are gained over time. This procedure can be done at your local dentist’s office or at home with a kit provided by your dentist.
- Bonding – For chips, cracks, and other damages, bonding materials that share the same appearance as your teeth are bonded to your teeth and these can help improve their appearance.
- Veneers – For a more long-lasting solution, veneers are used. These are custom porcelain shells that are thin enough to cover your teeth and conceal any imperfections like chips, cracks, and others.
- Crown lengthening – These involve removing excess gum tissue to allow the tooth’s crown to become more visible and give it more length. This involves minor surgery and can fix a “gummy smile.”
- Tooth reshaping – This involves the modification or removal of enamel to give your teeth a more pleasing appearance. This is often combined with bonding to achieve the results you want.
- Complete smile makeovers – This procedure entails a detailed assessment of your teeth and smile as well as several other procedures to completely overhaul your smile’s appearance.
- Most procedures are painless.
Many of us associate trips to the dentist with pain which is why it’s a common notion that cosmetic dental procedures are painful as well. However, contrary to popular belief, most of these procedures are completely painless.
Many of them, like bonding and teeth whitening, don’t even require an injection of anesthetics since the dentist will only be dealing with the surface of your teeth. In the event that they do need to use anesthetics such as the case with crown lengthening, they have other methods of administering them to accommodate patients with fears of needles.
- It can improve the overall shape of your face.
Not only will cosmetic dental procedures enhance the appearance of your teeth, but it can also help restructure your face as well. This is because teeth provide support to your lips and cheeks. Reducing their volume can lead to chin sagging and cheek distortion.
Nevertheless, you can utilize other dental procedures to reconstruct your face such as Invisalign – clear aligners which can help push your teeth outwards and improve the structure of your face. These aligners can help give your face a better, more contoured shape, therefore, enhancing your facial structure and appearance.
- Not all oral surgeons or dentists are capable of performing cosmetic dental procedures.
Since cosmetic dentistry involves procedures that aren’t commonly performed, not all dentists can perform them perfectly. These procedures are sensitive and if you don’t choose the right person for the job, you might end up with another dental problem that needs fixing.
Therefore, you need to be critical when choosing the dentist for your procedure. He or she should be able to meet your needs, especially when it comes to more complex procedures like bonding, dental implants, and others.
You should carefully consider the experience and skill of your dentist when it comes to your preferred procedure. Check recommendations and reviews before diving in. Once you’ve chosen a dentist, ask for the before and after photos of previous patients. This can give you an idea of whether or not they’re the right person for what you need.
- It can help boost your self-confidence.
Having crooked or imperfect teeth can be a source of insecurity for many and this can result in them not smiling as much or being shy to do so around other people. By undergoing cosmetic dental procedures, you can improve the appearance of your teeth which in turn will help you feel less self-conscious about them.
This can help boost your self-confidence and allow you to smile more. Smiling more can have a lasting impact on the people around you and this will help you appear more amicable and positive to them. Leaving a good impression on other people can help improve your social life as well.
With the constant wear and tear our teeth have to go through, it’s no wonder that they sometimes end up being less visually appealing than what we want. This can lead to insecurities about one’s appearance, often choosing not to smile around others because they feel self-conscious of their teeth’s appearance.
Because of this, many opt to go to their local dentist for cosmetic dental procedures to fix the imperfections of their teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry offers many benefits, especially to those who are self-conscious about the appearance of their teeth.
With these dental procedures, you can enhance your teeth’s appearance, making them more appealing and give you the self-confidence you need to break out of your shell and show the world that radiant smile and personality of yours.